In business, more and more woman are stepping up to a podium at seminars and making presentations. Besides how the subject matter is offered to an audience, body language can make or break its outcome. It is very easy for a woman to show uncertainty, even if she happens to be an expert in her chosen field.
Be sure to let a positive first impression always shine through.
- When others are speaking, sit up straight but relaxed, and listen attentively.
- When approaching the podium do so with head held high. Imagine that the top of the head is held by a string atteched to the ceiling.
- Keep the body stable by standing with the feet facing forward approximately one foot apart.
- Smile before beginning the presentation and finish it off with one.
- Make eye contact with members of the audience, so they feel that the presenter is directing their thought directly to them.
- Keep the subject matter in control by speaking clearly and in context.
- Never cross the arms around the body.
- Do a few practice runs by videotaping the presentation at home before hand. Go over the tape to assure that the appearance shows confidence and the subject matter is presented in an interesting manner.